Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] civserver.freeciv.org

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] civserver.freeciv.org
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 17:00:30 -0800

Well I have finally got a machine in here to become the civserver.
There has been quite a bit of talk on #freeciv on how to best implement
this, but I would like to see more people involved in this discussion.

The current line of thinking (and some code on Reinier Post's part) is
that we create a modified civserver, or even a lighter smaller daemon
that talks freeciv protocol to the clients that connect.  So at any time
you connect to civserver.freeciv.org 5555 and end up in a freeciv game
that hasn't started.  Once you talk over the options you want to use and
get enough players you can then start the game.  At this point the
server on port 5555 redirects the clients to another port where the game
is actually run.  This way any new people connecting to 5555 will end up
in a "new" server to start a new game.

There are many other things that we can do with this machine, but its
wide open.  There has been talk of creating a ranking system and tying
that into this.  But we could do much more.

I couldn't get all the hardware behind it I wanted to at this go
around.  But there should be enough power to get started.

What does everyone think?

--
Paul Zastoupil