Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] river h-elp text

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] river h-elp text
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:18:27 -0400

Jeff Mallatt (jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> So, perhaps I'd like to see this help text moved into the terrain.ruleset
> file.  Something like "river_help_text= ... " could be added after
> "river_trade_incr= ...".  If the value of river_help_text is not empty,
> then in boot_help_texts() in client/helpdata.c that value could be inserted
> after the last HELP_TERRAIN item.

OK, I did this.  But it's not very pretty.

I tested it, with the default ruleset and with the Civ1 ruleset.
It appears to work fine.  But I have one question, and one comment:

* Should the capability string be '+' or not?  I didn't test a
  river_help_text server with a non-river_help_text client or vice versa;
  but since the help text is at the tail end of the packet and I've got
  NULL-checking everywhere (I hope!) I think it *might* work out OK even
  without the '+'.  Someone should check on that.

* This is such a special-case hack!  With this patch, we have a single
  help text segment (terrain/rivers) that's given special treatment.
  Now, maybe this a bad thing, and maybe not; I don't want to make that
  judgment.  But I can't write this and not point that out.

Anyway, now you've got two patches which add help text for Rivers; the
original one and this new one.  You can decide what to do with them. :-)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers,