Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: create armies

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: create armies
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:35:36 -0400

At 1999/10/18 03:42 , Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
>lduperval@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> My suggestion is to create an "army" with stacked units. The number of
>> move points would become the lowest number of move point of the stacked
>> unit. Attack force would be the highest and defence would be the highest
>> value also. The reason I want it is so I can move archers and catapults,
>> for example, together, without having to move twice.
>
>Defence value is already the highest I think (but you lose entire stack
>if you do not win). As for attacking with stacks it is better to go full
>C:CTP route, together with firepower, combat rows etc.
>
>BTW, any chances that stacking patches will be accepted after 1.9.0 ?

There have been discussions of stacking on the dev list, before.  I think a
patch that allows for easy movement of a whole stack, without compromising
current movement semantics, would be readily accepted.  (Although, perhaps
all of the select/focus/move semantics need to be revisited -- but that's a
much bigger issue :)

Something that changes the fundamental combat rules will need to be
conditionalized on a server option, or rulesets, or something.  Given that,
though, I don't think there's any problem accepting a "combat stacking" patch.

jjm