Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Patch: Add the Finnish nation (PR#144)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch: Add the Finnish nation (PR#144)
From: Mika Korhonen <mikak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

This patch adds the Finns as nation27 to nation.ruleset and corrects a
spelling mistake concerning the Swedish city of Västerås.

The patch is against CVS snapshot on October 2.

I included all the Finnish cities in the end of year 1998 and some strong
leaders that have been (or will be :-) ruling independent Finland. The flag
already existed so this was an easy one.

- - -
Some words on the order the cities appear in (these might be applied also
in general): first we try to emphasize the importance of the cities now in
the other hand back then in ancient times. Freeciv models a long time span
so you've got to make some compromises.

The Finnish city of Turku was founded in 1229 but nowadays it's not the
capital any more and of less importance than the current one that was
founded later in 1550. I solved this problem by weighting both the current
importance (population) and the ancient importance (age). So the scheme is
that a town that will be, say, 500 years and have 2 million citizens is of
equal importance as a town with 250 years and 1 million people.

The simple Freeciv Real City Rate R that implements the specification is
obtained by the following formulation

        R = log P + log (A/1000)

or      R = log P + log A - log 1000

where P is the current population and A the age in year 2000 (when Freeciv
usually ends, right). And that's how I ordered the cities :-) Hence, a city
founded in 1999 and 1000 people gets zero rate.

Hmm.. there seems to be more than just 'some words'.
Ok.. I just happen to like to formalize things...

Yours,
        Mika
Innovation is hard to schedule.
                -- Dan Fylstra