Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Mouse selection

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Mouse selection
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 16:33:57 -0400

At 1999/10/02 20:31 , Pierre de Mouveaux wrote:
>as I like to move units with the mouse, I did some minor mdifications to
>the mapctrl.c file of the client, both GTK and XAW.

Yes!  I've wanted this, also, but I never figured out the *right* UI model.

>As I did'nt want to change the exixting mouse buttons assignment , the
>is a (minor) drawback.
>When you click on your owened cities or units, there is already an
>operation programed:
>- on city, opens the city editor;
>- on owened units, changes selected unit, or open a popup if multiple
>units on the same tile.
>
>In order to have an unit to enter one of yours cities, you just have to
>hold the control key while clicking on the city tile: the unit will move
>into the city, rater than opening the city editor popup.
>The same way, if you want to mouve a unit on a tile where there is
>already one (or more...) of your owned units, holding the control key
>will move the unit, rather than changing the selected unit.
>Other functions, lige "goto" etc... are not afected.

For now, I think I'd prefer to leave the normal clicking semantics
completely alone, and have CTRL-left be the "move one square" operaton.  In
other words, if you hold down CTRL, you will always move (or try to move)
as long as the click is on a neighboring square.  If you *don't* hold down
CTRL, you will never move (i.e., normal (current) semantics apply).

jjm