Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] The Map

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] The Map
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 09:56:27 +0200

Franck Guillaud wrote:

>         Yes, I guess that a 3D view of the world could be very nice. More
> eye candy than usefull, perhaps...

If you reallly want to do this, think about Alpha Centauri feature - I'm
talking about heights of tiles. It is something that could actually use
some power of opengl.

>         Who on the list is able to help me to understand what happends in
> the map based code ?

You might want to use some common code from existing clients, but at
least map will have to be rewritten from scratch. I've done this for my
java client, so I have some fresh experience with what is going on there
- if you have questions you can ask me.

Genereally map idea is easy (forgetting about units/cities). You have
rectangular map of square tiles, every tiles have specific terrain type
+few optional upgrades/specials (hut,road, resource, river etc). If you
will use common code from freeciv, you will get handling of it for free
- you 'just' need to provide rendering of map (I suppose you will need
to precompute some things, instead of display them every time at it is
done for normal client) and handle mouse inputs (what object was
clicked). It should be possible to reuse the rest from eiher gtk or xaw
client (of ocurse it would be better to stay strictly openGL - this way
win32 port would be a brief...)

Artur