[Freeciv-Dev] Borders

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Borders
From: Thue janus Kristensen <thue.kristensen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:56:07 +0200

A medium-sized idea, stolen from Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri (SMAC). (The
spaceship you launch, remember!?)

                            --------------Borders-------------
Implement ownership of squares. All squares within a distance, say 8
squares as in SMAC(in SMAC the
resulting territory is approximately circular, I am not sure excatly
how), of a city is yours. In SMAC
ownership is indicated by a line at the border of our territory. When
severel nation are within range of a
square the civ that has the nearest city or most cities in range of the
square (a compromise, I am not sure
how) owns the square
It seems to be relatively easy to implement, simple concept at least.
You migth vary the distance with technolegy level; there were no borders
in the stone age(distance 0), but
more advanced civs' borders extends longer from their cities.
The borders could extend sligthly into the sea.

The benefit:
    When dealing with other players you can more easyly determine when
they are comming too close, and diplomacy becomes simpler . In SMAC it
is an act of war to build a city within another persons territory. (note
that you can nudge the border by building a city close to it.)
    By reading some SMAC forums, and forums about upcomming civ3, it is
my impression that borders is
considered a great thing by most players, leading to better gameplay. It
clearly makes the the game more
realistic.
    Firaxis (The company with Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds) who is
developing civ3 is going to include borders, so obviously they still
like the idea after SMAC

Of course it wont really work with computer players unless some kind of
diplomacy system is implemented.
You may be able to make a function to notify the player when an enemy
enters your territory

No, I can't to program in C yet, but I am learning! (so start
programming for me, guys:))
I hope this is usefull
    Thue

--