Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Support of differents platform,

To: brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Support of differents platform,
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:11:06 +1000 (EST)

Nicolas Brunel wrote:

>    with my metaserver patch, I break the mac version of FreeCiv. I'd
> prefer code for non Unix platform to be available as a patch (maybe done
> with the option --ifdef). The actual way of doing is the same thing except
> that we can't know when we break the Mac patch. With a patch, it's so
> easy to see when and where It doesn't apply.

I think it is ok as it is.  If breakages happen (and obviously
they should be avoided as much as possible) then it becomes
the responsibility of the person(s) contributing patches
(effectively maintaining) for those platforms to send fix
patches.  If there are not enough such people, or they don't
send fixes, then as far as I'm concerned that would mean such
a port is not viable, and then it doesn't really matter if it
breaks.

Of course, as always, it helps if the non-portable parts are
well-confined to functions which provide a portable interface.

I don't think doing points via a separate patch would really help,
because the patch could break when the code would not, or the
code could break even if the patch does not (eg, changed semantics).
Plus maintaining separate patches is a pain...

Regards,
-- David