[Freeciv-Dev] Terrain variations

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Terrain variations
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:46:59 +0200

If we could make terrains overlap each other in manner we have
discussed, relieving from neccesity of creating 16 type of each, it
might be reasonable to add more than one variation of same terrain. Now
it is not so needed as border tiles sometimes have centers different
from main tiles - introducting some variety. But wih same tile repeated
everywhere every non-fully blended mark would create grid effect.

Of course variations would have to share exactly same edges to blend
seamlessly. Only in center - I think that maybe 30x30 area for 60x06
hexes/squares would be place for differences. For example cactus in the
desert, large oak instead of small trees in wood etc. But as player
could start to remember terrain by this remarks (my city is next to
cactus) it would be necessary to keep this info persistent.

For each terrain we could create few terrains - for example
C1,C2,U1,U2,R1,R2 where C is common, U is uncommon and R is rare. Server
would then remeber and send this info to client - and client is free to
ignore it (and render same terrain everywhere) or use different versions
of terrain. If less than 6 versions would be available some of them
could be mapped to more than one variation (for example common R1 and
R2).

Chances could be 60% for common, 30% for uncommon, 10% for rare, with
even chances for variation in each subgroup. It could be encoded in few
bits in type field - only changes would be in packet recv/send and tile
struct for start. Then to actually use it server would need routine for
generating version fo tile in map creation and some way to handle it in
savegames. Client is different thing, I wonder if all this thing with
bigger-than-grid tiles will be done for non-hex things (I also wonder if
hexes will be implemented ever... :)

Artur