Re: [Freeciv-Dev] internationalization

To: ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] internationalization
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:31:15 +1000 (EST)

Andy Black wrote:

> I remembered that the mac includes something called script manager.  The
> purpose of script manager is to provide internationalization suport.
>
> If there has not been any decisions on how to tell the server what language
> a client is useing I wish to propose the folowing items

Some comments:

I think initially the client and server will be internationalized
rather separately, with the server not knowing the language preferred
by the client.  This is not ideal, but will be much easier; tackling
the harder case of translating eg server messages to appropriate
client languages can come later.

If/when the server and client do want to exchange languages, I think
they would just send their languages codes as strings.  Then if the
server can handle that requested language it does so, else it falls
back to the default (English), in the standard gettext way.

Regards,
-- David