Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:10:23 +1000 (EST)

Ok, I've enabled gettext support in the CVS version of freeciv.
If you're lucky it might even work for you... :-)

It works for me on Linux, and it _almost_ works for me on Solaris:
I just have to manually move or symlink an installed dir, because
for some reason it installs to (prefix)/lib/locale/(etc)
instead of (prefix)/share/locale/(etc) (which is what
GNULOCALEDIR is defined to in config.h)  Not sure what the
fix might be...

So try it out, setting LANG to es or fr and note the
first line of output when starting the server or running
'client --help'.  Those are the only strings translated now,
as test strings.  From CVS you probably need gettext tools
installed, though as with dependencies etc, the release tar
produced by 'make dist' should be portable and not require
special tools.  (I don't really want to add things like the
binary .mo files to CVS...)

Regards,
-- David