Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK client on laptop: no keyboard movm't (PR#53)

To: Andy Black <ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK client on laptop: no keyboard movm't (PR#53)
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:29:23 +0100 (WET DST)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Andy Black wrote:

> >The GTK client, on my laptop (Tosh. Tecra 730CDT) does not recognize my
> >directional keys (arrows, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn). However, if I switch the
> >laptop
> >to use the regular keypad as for the directional keys (which means I can't
> >use
> >quite a few keys), it does work. The xaw client works fine (as it always
> >has).
>
> I am not familiar with the guts of GTK, but I have been basing the mac GUI
> code on the GTK GUI code.  The problem may be in the subroutine
> static gint keyboard_handler(GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventKey *event)
> in clinet/gui-gtk/
>
> prehaps, the lines like
>     case GDK_KP_Up
> should be
>     case GDK_Up
>
> Also, the number keys on the top of the keyboard are paired 1:1 with the
> number keys on the key pad, sou you don't need to change modes on the
> keyboard.

Don't do that.  GDK_Up, GDK_Down, GDK_Left, GDK_Right are used by GTK+
along with GDK_Tab to change the focus of the current widget.  Assigning
those keys to unit movement will result on you probably selecting the chat
line and not being able to move the units at all [ yes i had already
tried that :-( ].

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering