Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New game.ruleset to support custom calendars, etc. (PR

To: bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New game.ruleset to support custom calendars, etc. (PR#45)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:22:41 +1000 (EST)

Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> Unfortunately, all this must wait until we're ready for a compatibility break,
> though I'd like to suggest that we make that break as soon as feasible, in
> order
> to provide improved support for modpacks.

Yes, we will do so soon after 1.8.1 anyway, for the foodbox,
unit upkeep, governments, etc.

Though actually, the [calendar] doesn't really introduce any
client-server incompatability does it?  Because it doesn't send
anything to the client, and I think the client just uses whatever
year the server tells it it is.

(Though a client-side AI might want to know more?  Probably only
for spaceships though.)

And server-side, its easy enough (and IMO, almost mandatory)
to make the server backward compatible with old savefiles etc.

> ; The values in the table may be overridden if spaceship components have been
> ; built.  See game_next_year in game.c for the logic. (I don't know why it
> ; works that way.)

Because spaceship travel times are in years, not turns, and it
was considered a good idea to have 1 turn per year by the time
spaceships are possible.  That way, when someone launches
a spaceship, you are guaranteed a number of turns to react,
rather than possibly the spaceship arriving the next turn.

Regards,
-- David