Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Transitivity of Obsolescence (PR#40)

To: Chris Buchanan <csbuchan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Transitivity of Obsolescence (PR#40)
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:04:34 +0100

Chris Buchanan wrote:

> David Pfitzner said:
> >
> > What the Stone Age thieves currently _cannot_ do in this situation
> > is to upgrade their Chariots direct to Armor, which would be the
> > equivalent (just more extreme) to what you are suggesting for
> > Phalanx -> Musketeers.  (And Chariots _don't_ become obsolete
> > in this situation, which makes sense to me.)
>
> Then it seems to me that the solution is to not allow a player to
> benefit from a technology unless he would be able to research it
> normally.
>
> I seem to recall this being discussed on the list not that long ago. (:

BING! That was me.  I was suggesting it in the context of the 'Fantasy'
modpack, where it seemed nice (from a gameplay point of view) not to
allow people to grab advances from the 'other' trees.

However, I'm not sure I'd like this change to the main game - certainly,
it's a big change...  although, it would be a bit logical.

Jules