Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Transitivity of Obsolescence (PR#40)

To: rp@xxxxxxxxxx (Reinier Post)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Transitivity of Obsolescence (PR#40)
From: Chris Buchanan <csbuchan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:37:26 -0400 (EDT)

Reinier Post said:

>> If Unit-Type A is made obsolete by Unit-Type B, which is in turn made
>> obsolete by Unit-Type C, Unit-Type A isn't made obsolete by Unit-Type
>> C. For example, Phalanx units are made obsolete by Pikeman, which are
>> made obsolete by Musketeers. If, however, you are unable to produce
>> Pikemen (by not having Feudalism), then not only are the Phalanx units
>> not upgradable to Musketeers, but you are able to produce both Phalanx
>> units and Musketeer units.
>
> This is known.  Stealing/conquering technology would become more fruitful
> if transitivity was implemented.  It may or may not be considered a bug.

I can't see how. In this situation, I can build Musketeers; how I came
out possessing Gunpowder is irrelevant. The question is why should I
need Feudalism to make Phalanx units obsolete. Once I can build Musketeers,
Phalanx units *are* obsolete in all ways, if only not in theory; nobody's
going to build them. The only reason that they haven't disappeared from
the buildlist (and added to the upgrade list) is that Pikemen haven't
been invented yet. Remember, this isn't the same issue as allowing
someone from the Stone Ages to steal Mobile Warfare and building Armour;
my People know Gunpowder, and everything leading up to it. The fact
that I got there without learning Feudalism first shouldn't impact the
fact the Musketeers do, in reality, obsolete Phalanx units.

--
Chris Buchanan, BMath
http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~csbuchan