Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea (battle.net)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea (battle.net)
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:37:29 -0500

Stephen Hodge wrote:

> David Pfitzner wrote:
> > One possible way to avoid the problem of everyone having to
> > start at the same time would be to allow people to take over
> > from AI players (and automatically toggle the AI status when
> > players join/leave).  Whether this would be worth it I'm not
> > sure (eg, you join as some crappy AI civ which is about to
> > die...)
>
> I'd say "them's the breaks". Perhaps you could give the new player some sort
> of appraisal of how the AI's doing and then give the option of starting a
> new civilization or taking over from the AI.

It might be a nice arrangement for players who like a real challenge.  After
all, when kings are born they don't have much say over the size and might of
their kingdom.

For people who play with an eye on the scoreboard, perhaps their points earned
could be scaled up on the basis of where they started, e.g. if they started as
the 7th-ranked tribe and finished as the 3rd-ranked tribe, their civscore could
be multiplied by 7/3 or something along that line.

OTOH, the way people on slashdot rave about the FreeCiv AI, perhaps picking up
an AI civ should be considered and advantage rather than a handicap!

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas