Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Ideas and a bug...

To: FreeCiv <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Ideas and a bug...
From: Chris Lawrence <quango@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 18:32:12 -0500

On Jun 13, Peter Wraight wrote:
> 1. The complaints about the easy AI being too hard are well
> grounded. However I believe there are other ways to improve the
> situation. Every time I started the game with five AI players (hey I
> felt like a challenge) I noticed that there was only one island on
> which everybody was. If the terrain generator was slightly improved
> so that it generated several different islands defense would become
> less of a problem.

IMHO the game actually seems easier when you have multiple AIs on your
island: you have to build up your military capability early, so you
don't get nailed when the Egyptians show up in 2000 AD with cruise
missiles and you're sitting around researching tactics...

But yes, the easy AI is too hard in general.  Perhaps a super-easy AI
would only go after human players if provoked (some easy AI players
seem to behave this way, but it may just be because they are
militarily weak).  On the other hand, the easy AI is transcendentally
stupid in some ways... once you figure out how it behaves, it is much
easier to defeat.  (I'm only now surviving games I play against easy
AIs, after 5 or 6 attempts; I suspect it was only 2 or 3 with Civ1's
easiest mode.)

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   |   http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|    Amiga A4000 604e/233Mhz   |       Do you want your bank to snoop?      |
|     with Linux/APUS 2.2.3    |      http://www.defendyourprivacy.com/     |