Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] fuel tankers

To: Freeciv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] fuel tankers
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:21:42 +0200

Trev & Dolf Oberholster wrote:

> i think it would be nice to have some ships that can carry fuel for
> planes and other things and a plane that can carry up to 5 troops and
> other units by air..
>
> thanks evan

Hello Evan,
here is a little bit of feedback:

It would be better if you jotted down your ideas,
and made up a webpage or sent them to the mailing list in a single file.

Another issue is that freeciv strives for high compatibility with
its relative, civII by MPS, so as not to annoy the people who played it.
Before people say they are happy with this, progress with a true freeciv
mode will be slow. But maybe it is a good idea to start collecting ideas
in a central place/list somewhere.

A way to get your ideas implemented is by using rulesets.
The ability to transport stuff and refuel planes is probably
already feasible with rulesets, in theory without any programming.

Ships that can carry fuel:
        Do you mean carriers ? They exist already.
Plane that can carry up to 5 troops:
        There is an airlift command that allows transporting one unit
        between two cities.
        I think a true transport plane would be too powerful,
        though maybe if it could transport only one unit it would be ok.

--
Peter Schaefer - schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
"FermaT, by Software Migrations Ltd, is an industrial strength program