Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Requiring glib...

To: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Requiring glib...
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:57:31 +1000

Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> I think making glib required would be a good thing (tm)
> The purpose of glib is to act as a portability libary...

Freeciv doesn't just run on Linux.  Many people use it under other
Unix and non-Unix operating systems.

> don't hear any really serious objections... I really think that glib is
> a libary that we *want* on every computer... Thus we *should* require it
> to work for the spreading of this...

That sounds suspiciously like glibc's agenda, which is not
necessarily ours.

Many people also build and run Freeciv in their own home directories.
IMHO, it it unreasonable to expect people to install glibc(30Mb) just
so they can run Freeciv.

Regards,

Mitch.
--