Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK-client and snprintf

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK-client and snprintf
From: Markus Linnala <maage@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 May 1999 10:35:47 +0300

David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yes.  We mainly need to find an implementation of snprintf
> (presumably also vsnprintf?) which is:
> - good quality
> - suitably licenced
> - easy to incorporate into freeciv (eg, standalone)

Check: http://theos.com/~deraadt/snprintf.c

For example gnome-libs has support directory that contains all
kinds of functions not in lesser libc's. Most of them are taken
from glibc-2.x, and the licence is LGPL or GPL. I guess they are
meant to be standalone. Please consider similair setup at
freeciv.

Excerpt from gnome-libs/support documentation:
Good places to get "support" functions:

`libgnomesupport' is essentially a `glibc' emulation library, and hence
`glibc' itself is a good source.  However, some of the functions cannot
be easily ripped out and put here (esp. any of the stdio-derived
functions).  Other places are:

* libiberty from your friendly Cygnus source distribution, e.g.,
  binutils, gdb.  The only caveat is that these cannot be used drop-in:
  you have to remove references to other files in the Cygnus tree &c.

* libit, which appeared briefly on ftp://alpha.gnu.org

* Jim Meyering's collection from his `fileutils'/`sh-utils'/`textutils'
  packages

//Markus