Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Client AI

To: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Client AI
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 00:43:51 -0500

Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> This projct would mean a complete restructuring of the client...
> (Not the GUI, but almost everything else)
> We probably would use old code but not much of the structure would be left...
> Please, You who are responsible for the way it is now - comment!
> Flexibility and modularization will be key in the suggested
> implementation... This would mainly be made possible with callback
> functions... Kind of like Gtk...

I'm not responsible for anything, but I'll comment anyway:

1) Unless you think the restructuring will also be useful to the player client,
why don't you implement the AI client in a different subdirectory, so you can
change it as needed without worrying about what happened to the player client.
That is, in addition to the client, server, and common subdirectories, build the
client in a new ai-client subdirectory.  Then you can make however radical
modifications of the code you need to without worrying about disrupting the
existing logic.  (For a really radical implementation you might eventually throw
away almost everything except the packet handling routines.)

2) Re callbacks, are you going to implement the AI client to call GUILE scripts,
so people can customize their AI's behavior without re-writing the whole AI
client?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas