[Freeciv-Dev] Xaw client monochrome support

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Xaw client monochrome support
From: Peter Berg Larsen <pebl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:03:56 +0200 (MET DST)

I have made some change to the Xaw client that makes freeciv playable on
a bw screen. The overview window is made larger if played on a bw screen
and uses symbols instead of colors to indicate a unit/city/ocean. Its made
in a way that allow one to easy make it large if preferred. Much space is
wasted under the overview window if it is made too large.

Secondly I have made som perl programs that helps converting the resource
file and xpm files to bw. ConvertResource2bw.pl is basicly a regular
expression which takes the color resource file and converts it to a
usable bw resource file. I thought this was better than keeping two
resource files (bw/color) up to date. (somebody is bound to forget one of
them)

The second perl program inserts a none color in a xpm file based on where
there are none colors in a second xpm file. As freeciv(xpm) does not dither
a colorxpmfile on a bw, the graphic are hard to recognise, and as I can not
draw figures at all, I used xv to dither the graphics for me. But xv do
not keep the none color, instead it is converted to white. The perl
program takes the converted xpm and the originally xpm and gives a xpm file
where none colors are substituted in the converted xpm.

peter

ps. By playable and usable I do not mean perfect.
--
E-Mail:       pebl@xxxxxxxxxx
Real name:    Peter Berg Larsen