Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nations/tribes

To: Miroslav Kucera aka Wendigo <xkucera1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: - freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nations/tribes
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:25:03 -0500

Miroslav Kucera aka Wendigo wrote:

> What about external nations/tribes? Something like directory named
> Tribes/ containing directories named by tribes. Every tribe directory
> should contain file with flag and txt file with description like
> default ruler name and default names of cities.
> Yes I know... There should be some problems with sharing of this data
> between players with differently modified Tribes/ directory but the idea
> is interresting, isn't it? :)

I've been lobbying for a tribes.ruleset, in which you could specify a set
of tribes and all their attributes very much as you describe.  You would
then specify what tribeset to use when you start a game, just like you can
do with some other rulesets now.

Since the rulesets are loaded on the server side, everyone would get the
same tribes for a given game.  The flags would require an additional
mechanism, but there has been a bit of discussion of that sort of thing
lately too.  You may want to look at recent posts in the archive.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas