Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
[freeciv-dev] Various tools & toys available...

To: - freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-dev] Various tools & toys available...
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 02:49:30 -0500

I've gotten several things ready for you, at least in draft form.
Rather than mailing out some possibly large files to the whole list,
I've set up a Web page where interested parties can go out and fetch
them.  You are welcome to include any/all of this in future
distributions, as soon as you feel like it is up to distribution
quality.  Meanwhile, some of you may want to go ahead and start using it
yourselves.

The material is at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/bdbryant/freeciv/.

For today we have:

 o A modified form of Ralph Engels' GIMP script for selecting individual
tiles in a tileset.  The revision lets you simply specify the index # of
the tile rather than mentally calculating the x and y offsets into the
image.  (You can also specify the size of the tiles and the number of
tiles per row in the image, but these are all set to the default values
for the 45x45 unit tiles.  I haven't worked on the other tilesets yet,
so the script may still need more tweaking to work well with them.)

 o A draft version of units.xpm, with a tile for the missing Elephants
and improvements to various other tiles.  This draft is clean enough for
immediate use, but I did not base it on a clean master .xcf file.  I
hope to rebuild it on that basis when I have time to work on some more
tiles, at which point I will make the .xcf available as well.  (Thanks
to those of you who have been answering my graphics questions.)

 o A link to the existing page for my Ancients modpack.  There is a new
version of the modpack available on that page, and it includes
substantial improvements based on playtests of the earlier millenia of
the game.  (Thanks to David Pfitzner for tips on reducing the size of
the download.)

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas