Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Windows and gtk+

To: Martin Willemoes Hansen <mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Windows and gtk+
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:48:34 +0100 (WET DST)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> Hi Freecivers!
>
> Has someone started making a nativ win32 version of Freeciv which uses
> GTK+ and dont depend on an Xserver.

I actually tried porting the gtk+ client to win32 2 weeks ago.

I hacked the networking code in common.c to use winsock & all but the
gtk+ part itself was crashing when creating the main window.

The gtk+ port to win32 isn't perfect yet, and the refreshes are slow and
buggy.
I made an offline MUD area editor that uses gtk+ that is intended from
scratch to work on win32 and X.  What i learned from that is that stuff
like using accelerators in menus and stuff can cause gtk+ win32 to crash.

Once we get 1.8.1 out i'll spend some more time trying to port the freeciv
client + server to win32 using Microsoft Visual C+ 6.0.  (which is the
compiler i have over here)

If anyone gets the client to work on win32 before that i would be grateful.

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering