Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [freeciv-dev] Q's re distributing a modpack.

To: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [freeciv-dev] Q's re distributing a modpack.
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:10:24 -0400

Bobby D. Bryant (bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I presume that most of you are aware that I am working on an Ancients
> "modpack" for FreeCiv.

> 1) License: In order to satisfy the GPL, is it sufficient that I include
> a copy of the COPYING file that comes with FreeCiv?

First, you have to determine whether your work must be distributed under
the GPL at all.  Is it derived from Freeciv in any way?  Or did you
develop it without looking at any of the Freeciv internals?

If it must be distributed under the GPL, then you must release the source
code for any binaries.  You will have to either upload the source along
with any binaries, or accompany each binary with an offer to provide
source code upon request (see the GPL for details).

Including the COPYING file with your binaries (and with the souce)
is highly recommended.

> 2) Feedback/discussion: In order to keep from generating too much
> traffic on the developer's list, I was planning on announcing it on the
> freeciv list, and asking people to limit their discussion as follows:

I'd welcome the discussion on freeciv-dev, as long as it's civil.

>  o People should use freeciv-dev only for discussing situations where
> better support for modpacks would require changes to the game engine.

Many of the people using your modpack may not be able to determine where
to draw this line.  I wouldn't want to lay down any hard-and-fast rules.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.