Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Improvement/unit/wonder background info

To: FreeCiv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Improvement/unit/wonder background info
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:16:25 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Martin Christensen wrote:
> Well, what about it? Should we incorporate more background information
> on city upgrades, units and wonders? I think it would be a valuable
> addition, creating the sensation of a more complete world. If I hear a
> few important voices cry "aye" I'll get right on the job of writing that
> info. Anyone else with me?

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, but I wanted
to put it into the rulesets, so I've been having it on hold until I
understood rulesets better. Essentially, what I think should be done
is to add this information at the end of the current rulesets files,
perhaps in the registry format (see server/registry.c for info).
That way, when rulesets change the units, buildings etc, the extended
information stays valid.

I've also been wanting to add a sentence or two to every city,
describing how they are in the real world, like "Trondheim is the
third largest city of Norway, and is home of Nidarosdomen, the
largest nordic cathedral ever built." This would add some flavour
and educating value to the game, I think, but it would also be
helluva lot of work... This information can be done entirely in
the client, without touching rulesets, though.

Yours,
Per