Re: [Freeciv-Dev] workers on main map

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] workers on main map
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:56:57 -0500

Martin Willemoes Hansen (mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

(unattributed)
> > I'd like very much to have a fog of war in freeciv.
> > It changes completely the game when a sneak attach can come from
> > any where. It can renew the game even for freeciv veterans.

> I think c:ctp has fog of war.

Civ1 and Civ2 both have something that could be called "fog of war".
Basically, in Freeciv, once you've seen a tile, you always know what
happens there.  In Civ1-2, after you're no longer near a tile, you don't
always know what happens there -- you could come back later and find that
a city has been built there, or that it's been railroaded and mined, etc.

A necessary part of Civ1-2 therefore consists of using ships, planes,
or even land units to perform patrols of your borders to see whether
anything is sneaking up on you.  The "eternal knowledge" of tiles in
Freeciv makes this unnecessary.

So add this to the list of differences between Freeciv and Civ1-2.

And add this as well: vision-radius-2 ships in Civ1-2 can't see land
2 squares away -- only *Ocean* 2 squares away.  So, you can't use a
Destroyer in Civ2 to see unknown inland squares in enemy territory... but
occasionally you'll find a lake.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.