Re: [Freeciv-Dev] History of Republic

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] History of Republic
From: Brent Nelson <nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:10:07 -0700 (MST)

OK, history lesson on early democracy, and the republic.  This comes
from my feeble memories of the Ideologies class I took last summer.  I
may be wrong on some of the details.  I didn't really pay too close
attention.

Socrates lived in greece from 470 BC to 399 BC.  This was in the
heyday of greek democracy.  The greek democracy was a pure democracy.
Every free property owning male would vote on matters of government.
If someone wanted to put in an aquaduct, all the men would get
together and put it to a vote.  The majority ruled.  Always.  There
were no elections, and thus no elected officials.  All government
matters were decided by a vote by the populace as a whole.  If I
remember correctly, socrates was either exiled from Athens, or
executed by Athens for saying contrivercial things because the
populace voted to do it.  Democracy is quite like rule of the mob.  A
person could rile up the mob and get them to vote the way they
wanted.  There was no constitution that controled government, just the
rule of the mob.

Socrates trained Plato, who in turn trained Aristotle (who in turn
trained Alexander the Great).  Aristotle wrote alot on Democracy and
the Republic.  The web page I am looking at doesnt have the
birth/death dates of Aristotle, but I guess they would be something
like 410 - 340 BC (based on the dates of alexander and plato).
So we see that the republic does date a long way back as a concept.
Aristole saw Democracy as rule by the mob, which wasn't bound by
reason and could easily be influenced by demigogs.  Monarchs or
despots would abuse the people for their own gain.  And the
aristocracy would just look out for their own good.  He saw the
perfect government as a mix of all these elements.  Each element had
strengths and weaknesses that balanced each other out.

The US government system was defined as a republic when it started (it
has drifted more towards democracy, abandoning the republic model).
The President represented the monarch part.  The House of
Represntatives represented the people, and the Senate would represent
the aristocracy.  I am unsure of this, but I think senate seats were
not elected initially.  Someone more versed on american history and
politics may be able to correct me on this though.

There, I think I have typed enough and bored you enough for one day.

--brent nelson