Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bugs/suggestion report

To: martin_w_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bugs/suggestion report
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:17:56 +1100

Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> 1. PNG versus XPM .. PNG also has alpha channel which
> would make it posible to make shadows etc.

Whatever approach we take, this won't be in 1.8.0, so
I haven't been paying much attention.

> 2. Why dont races end with an s? like roman should be
> romans.

There are two functions get_race_name() and get_race_name_plural()
(can't just add 's' because of English etc.)
So whichever is appropriate should be used.  Is there somewhere
in particular you think the plural should be used?

> 3. English leader should be "Elizabeth I" not just
> Elizabeth.
> 4. Why dont the leader names have two names, like
> caesar should be "Julius Caesar".

Currently names are rather limited in length, and there may
be problems with spaces in names.  I personally would prefer
to allow longer names, and spaces.

> 5. Shouldnt the Turks civilization be there too ? It
> is discribed in the Civ I manual.

Huh?  They're not in my Civ1.  Neither the manual (that I've
noticed) nor the game itself.  Extensible races (planned, not
yet coded) would mean anyone who wanted to add the Turks
could easily do so (just need a Turkish flag, leader name,
city names etc).

> 6. What about having one of the icons in the graphics
> section at www.freeciv.org included in the dist? like
> it could go in /usr/X11R6/share/icons

Since freeciv itself is not going to use this, this seems
like unnecessary bloat for the distribution.   Having them
on the web page is sufficent for those who want them, or
want to make a package for a system which actually uses icons.

-- David