Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] dwp: Changed protocol the network b

To: jediknight@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] dwp: Changed protocol the network byte order, becaus...
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 12:27:04 +1100

Matt Busigin wrote:

> On 5 Mar 1999 freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> #Changed protocol the network byte order,

> Can we make the new network byte order in the client a comment line option?

No.  Well, not easily.  Why?

Note that:
- The 1.8.0 server only understands the old byte order enough
  to be able to tell old clients to go away.
- 1.8 clients will only be able to connect to 1.8 servers
  anyway (regardless of byte order; this is so the capabilities
  can be clean and we don't have to support backwards compatibility
  indefinitely).

So it wouldn't gain anything.

-- David