Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Problem with Helicopters

To: rizos@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Problem with Helicopters
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:37:16 +1100

rizos@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> There is a problem that occurs when a helicopter, with no hitting points
> left, attacks a unit that has no hitting points (eg. a diplomat).

I think they're pronounced "hit points".  Actually, I think
the problem is that it shouldn't be possible to have _any_
units with 0 hp!  But there is a bug that helicopters which
go to 0 hp from staying outside cities don't die from it!
(Diplomats do have hit points, just not attack/defense points.)

But you're right that bad things happen when a heli with 0 hp
attacks a diplomat.  I got client segfaults (floating point
exception).

> I suggest that an helicopter with no hitting points left should be considered
> as only an exploring unit and should not be allowed to attack.

Actually, I think helicopters with zero hp should run out
of fuel and die?  Though the attack routines could be made
more robust too...

Regards,
-- David