Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv tickles XF memory leak?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv tickles XF memory leak?
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 13:18:23 -0200

On Feb 20, Daniel Burrows decided to present us with:

>   However, it seems to be going into swap rather than being deallocated.  I
> only get this if I run more than one instance of civclient at once, and then
> it doesn't *seem* to go up unless I run even more.  My guess is that the X
> server is sitting on allocated memory for future use.  So this isn't a
> problem.

I'm not an X expert, but I remember this very same discussion in
the very early days of Enlightenment. I remember Raster telling
us of how the X server doesn't know about freeing memory, so
this memory remains allocated to be reused later. A good test
is: immediatly after you do that (close civclient and check
memory usage), open civclient again and check memory once more.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.