Re: [Freeciv-Dev] sound architecture

To: permath@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] sound architecture
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:29:09 +1100

Per Mathisen wrote:

> After a fair bit of coding and thinking, I am becoming rather certain
> that client-side only sound architecture is not going to work very well.

Well, my preference would be to keep sound client-side, but look
at extending the protocol to give the client a bit more information
in some cases.  Whether to do that with a sound packet, or just to
add extra info to some existing packets where necessary, I'm not sure.

> To make sounds "ruleset-able", a new column can be added to improvements
> and units rulesets that refer to a sound. The sound "4" could, for
> instace, refer to an "elephant sound". (Sounds silly, doesn't it?)

If you then communicate that extra ruleset data to the client,
you could keep things client-side alot of the time, right?

Regards,
-- David