Re: [Freeciv-Dev] sound architecture

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] sound architecture
From: W Stockwell <waldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:08:47 -0500 (EST)

I experimented with sound for a bit.  Forgiving my lack of knowledge in
the ruleset model, it seems logical that a function with a single
arguement(such as a unit macro or whatever) could be called from the
specific packet handling functions pertaining to those events.  The sound
would remain client-side.  Besides, does it really matter if all clients
play the same sound at all times?

Will

 On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Per Mathisen wrote:

> After a fair bit of coding and thinking, I am becoming rather certain
> that client-side only sound architecture is not going to work very well.
>
> The first problem is that the client does not always know when events take
> place, it is too dumb. It receives instructions to do things, but not
> what prior action that caused this to happen.
>
> The second problem is that adding sound in the client will hard-wire a
> certain implementation (mapping certain units, buildings to specific
> sounds), which is exactly the kind of thing what we are moving away from
> with rulesets.
>
> My idea, currently, is to make a new packet, a "sound packet", which
> is simply the number of a sound to play, and then the server can decide
> when a sound should be played. This will, of course, lead to some
> additional increase in the number of packets going over the network, but
> this could be controlled by a server-option (sound packets on/off).
>
> To make sounds "ruleset-able", a new column can be added to improvements
> and units rulesets that refer to a sound. The sound "4" could, for
> instace, refer to an "elephant sound". (Sounds silly, doesn't it?)
>
> Anyone have other ideas or comments?
>
> Yours,
> Per

Will Stockwell