Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug: server core dump when homeless unit opens hut

To: ic5035%tss1crs.amgreetings.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] bug: server core dump when homeless unit opens hut
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:11:46 +1100

Greg Wooledge wrote:

>  This occurred when my initial Explorer moved onto
> a hut; at that point, I had no cities (hadn't even moved a Settler yet).
> Judging by the line numbers below, it appears that the hut contained
> barbarians.

> As far as I can tell, game_remove_unit() never should have called
> unit_list_unlink, since player_find_city_by_id() should have returned 0
> for this homeless unit.

game_remove_unit() calls unit_list_unlink() twice even
for homeless units (unlink from map, and from player.units)
so it may not necessarily be a homeless problem.
(The line numbers seemed too strange to tell which was
being called.)

>  And if I get lucky again and find a visible
> hut in my starting position I'll try to get a save game which reproduces
> the bug.

I was able to re-produce this situation: on the first turn, before
moving a settler or building a city, an explorer gets killed by
barbarians in a hut.  But I didn't get a segfault.  :-(

-- David