[Freeciv-Dev] patching various things

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] patching various things
From: Daniel Gudlat <gudlat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:29:49 +0100 (MET)

Hello FreeCiv team,
while fiddling with the CivWorld and FreeCiv sources I came across several
issues in the FreeCiv code and scenario .sav's. The attached patch tries
to rectify those. I've test it with both FreeCiv and CivWorld, (it's
basically an extension of the patch that I put in the civedit.tgz) and
it seems to work just fine. What it does:

- patches to the scenario s.sav's in the data directory:
  fixed a minor thing in the earth maps: the baltic sea is now connected
  with the atlantic and it's impossible now to walk from denmark to norway.
  by crossing the Skagerak/Kattegat. Also put the things through CivWorld,
  so they now contain correct terrain statistics (forestsize etc.)
- patch to gamehand.c: This deals with a problem that seem to persist
  since before the stable 1.7.2 distribution: If you saved the server
  settings with any 1.7.2+ server, you couldn't load them again, as the
  unirandom section was missing while the savefile options said they
  should be there. (Did really no-one find this before me?!)
- patch to server/stdinhand.c, gamehand.c, maphand.c: this allows now to
  save scenarios after loading them into the server and just changing some
  settings. now, the correct amount of information is saved for any of:
  server settings, all 3 types of scenario's and normal savegame.
  This means that for the first time, type 1 scenarios really work...
  Also did some clean up in game_load() and deleted an (incorrect) comment
  by dwp. (The thing may still need an overhaul, but the rest was wrong...)

For all those reasons, I'd like to see the patch put into CVS.

As an aside: could the people who work on the map generators please decide
on a uniform meaning for the terrain parameters? For mapgen 2 and 3, most
of them are per mille settings, except for riverlength, which is number of
tiles. I greatly prefer this to the mapgen 1 chaos, were some are per mille,
others are tile numbers and map.deserts is just the number of general
desert areas, irrespective of their size?!

Bye,
--
Daniel "Gudy" Gudlat                (mailto:gudlat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
ICQ-UIN: 5258903               (http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~gudlat)