Re: [Freeciv-Dev] configure error

To: CHRIS LUCK <chris.luck@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] configure error
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:18:49 +1100

CHRIS LUCK wrote:

> I'm getting the following configure error for FreeCiv 1.7.2 on Slackware 3.6
> Kernel 2.0.35
>
> checking for sys/ioctl.h... no
> checking for sys/time.h... no
> checking for unistd.h... no
> checking for X11/xpm.h... no
>
> I checked the /usr/X11/include dir for it and found that header in there.
> I'll help in figuring out the problem just let me know what you guys need me
> to do.. If its a problem with wrong file size, time, or anything else let me
> know.

On Linux systems, the includes in /usr/include often reference
the headers which come with the kernel, through two symlinks called
/usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm.

If these kernel headers don't exist, the symlinks don't point to
them, or there's a permission problem for ordinary users, then
compiles will fail.

You can test to see whether the headers are correctly installed
like this:

  less /usr/include/linux/types.h

Did you see a file?  If not, find out why, possibly by reinstalling
the kernel source into /usr/src/linux and running gmake with the
target that regenerates the asm link in /usr/src/linux/includes.

If you do see the file, then tell us what happens when you try
compiling the attached program like this:

gcc -v -Wall -pedantic -o hello hello.c

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mitch.