Re:[Freeciv-Dev] that map editor thing

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:[Freeciv-Dev] that map editor thing
From: Daniel Gudlat <gudlat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:30:14 +0100 (MET)

Hi FreeCiv team,
following up on my mail from yesterday, here are the results of my playing
with Benjamin's CivWorld sources.

Just cd to your FreeCiv directory, untar the .tgz, cd civedit and make.
As it is written for GTK+, you need a hopefully recent version of
glib/gdk/gtk. You also need an old style tiles.xpm (with roads) in
<freecivdir>/data for the map to display correctly.

The tarball also contains a patch against the CVS version from Jan 27, that
also applies cleanly against vanilla 1.7.2. You need it for the save game
routines to work correctly.

What's to do?

CivEdit: (in order of urgency)
  make it understand the post 1.7.2 tile format (extra roads.xpm), so we
  can completely rely on the xpm's shipped with FreeCiv.
  make it read $FREECIV_DATADIR for the location of the data directory.

  line and rectangle drawing modes

  Type 1 scenarios (= maps with specials):
    specials drawing mode
    test save game procedure for type 1 scenarios

  Some code cleanup/restructuring may be called for

  runtime tileset switching would be neat

  After this, turning the thing into a full-blown savegame editor might
  be in order...

FreeCiv:
  could we PLEASE have the TILE definitions in mapview.h instead of mapview.c?

I'm grateful for any help,
--
Daniel "Gudy" Gudlat                (mailto:gudlat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
ICQ-UIN: 5258903               (http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~gudlat)