Re: [Freeciv-Dev] artists needed

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] artists needed
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:38:56 -0200

On Feb 02, Nicolas BRUNEL decided to present us with:

> I wonder how we can get more people involved in the developpement of the
> freciv's grafixs.
>
> The main point will be that people can easily get the current graphics so
> that they can modify it without subsribe to the mailing list or using cvs.
> What do you think Martin of adding a section graphics on the site with the
> differents tilesets with have now ?

I think that's an excellent idea. A xpmxaw port may also be cool
(I was considering a look in the xaw3d #ifdef's to make it work
with nextaw, but xpmxaw is probably better); if I understand it
correctly (I'm talking without looking at the webpage, supreme
shame) it allows customization, like "themes" or "skins"? This
would be yet another front for artists to attack.

Also, I know at least a couple of people who would like to give
back to linux/etc but can't code. To those who speak english, I
usually say "go translate potfiles", but some of them are very
fine artists (for some unknown reason we have a very high
percentage of artist geeks in Brazil) and I can tell them "go
draw up a (E|icewm|gtk|...) theme... now I can say "go write a
tileset for FreeCiv" :-) It would be nice if there was a webpage
to help them understand the task (like, perhaps, a "map" of
what's supposed to be in each file in a tileset).

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.