[Freeciv-Dev] GTK client bug

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK client bug
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:14:44 -0500

  I have a guaranteed way to crash the GTK+ client. (1.7.2, may be fixed now?)

  (1) start the client with transparent flags off (not necessary but makes
     things more controllable)
  (2) turn transparent flags on
  (3) click on a unit. (or expire the movement points of the current unit
  or click on Next Turn.  Just get a new unit to be focused)

  For some reason which I am unable to determine, clicking on a unit in this
situation results in the message:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

aborting...

  I traced into set_unit_focus() and it seems to exit without anything bad
happening.  Given that, I can't figure out why this crash occurs, but maybe
someone more familiar with GDK/the Freeciv GTK+ client can come up with an
answer.
--
  Daniel Burrows

  Nothing is hopeless.

  PROOF:
(a) Assume the opposite.
(b) If something _is_ hopeless, then its condition can only improve.
(c) If its condition can only improve, then there must be hope for it.
(d) Therefore, nothing is hopeless.  QED.