Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Apollo Program bug

To: andrex@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Apollo Program bug
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:19:38 +1100

Andrew E. Schulman wrote:

> The Apollo Program shows me not just cities, but also squares that used to
> be cities.  I have a save file that shows this.  Right now there are about
> 5 squares that I can see which don't have cities in them.

As long as those squares have had cities on them at some time
during which the Apollo Program has existed, that makes sense
(in terms of the code).

All the Apollo Program does is "light" all the city squares,
that is, make those squares "known", as though you had
discovered them (as when moving a unit).  Once a square is
known, it stays known thereafter, even if the city is destroyed.
I don't see how it would be easy to fix this (though I also
don't see much need to do so).  Perhaps go through and look for
isolated known squares without cities... :-/

Personally, I think it would be more sensible (and not too
unbalanced) for Apollo to simply give you full map knowledge.
I mean once you have satellites etc.
(Hmm, a ruleset variant to implement...)

-- David