Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Sugg: Internet

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Sugg: Internet
From: Hrothgar <hrothgar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:23:03 -0600 (CST)

hello all,

first off, i want to say that FreeCiv is kewl.  but in a very
"constructive criticism" manner, i'd like to subject an idea to everyone.
the one thing about FreeCiv that bugs me is that it's not original.  and
you all prolly already know this, but i'd like to see FreeCiv to take on
it's own form, away from CivI/II.

realism is a fragile thing, but how would/could we implement a type of
internet feature.  in my mind's eye it would function likea railroad, in
that you have to connect two cities with <given graphic>...whether
powerlines, buried fiber, etc...(how would this not conflict with the
existing rode/railroad tiles?  that could be ironned out later).  the
advantage would be increased sciences and possibly commerce and happiness
for each town connected to the network.  whether the effects would
compound as more towns connects would require some debate between us all.
the disadvantages could be that an enemy engineer could tap into a line
(not instantaniously) and gain a science or something by theft/espionage.
heck, you may could even have a `tech geek' unit after researching
computers & espionage.

in the realm of realism, you could have multiple players connected to one
another, but i don't see the strength in it...only disadvantages (like
cyber warfare,hacking, etc.).

once again, this is in my mind's eye...maybe i'm not thinking clearly.  8)

anyway, if you guys have already discussed this or you think it's a dumb
idea, let me know and i'll try to prove you wrong.   hehe

later,
cameron