Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomats

To: tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomats
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:17:51 +1100

Todd Goodman wrote:

> I'm running the latest CVS source (1/24) and haven't played in a while.
>
> I know we're trying to make diplomats more equitable, but they seem pretty
> much
> useless in a single player game right now.
>
> Everytime I try to incite a revolt or steal tech it fails and I lose the
> diplomat.
> Maybe it's a random number problem, or maybe it's supposed to be impossible?

Probably this is due to Nicolas' fix that the AI now builds
diplomats as defenders.  Your attacking diplomats only have
a 1 in 3 chance of success against a defending diplomat
(adjustable via the diplchance server option).

(Actually, the AI can go a bit overboard with this: in AI-vs-AI
games, each AI will often be urgently building diplomats to
defend against the perceived threat of other AI diplomats, even
though the AI only uses diplomats for defense...)

> Usually it shows a reasonable amount for inciting a revolt, but I had one
> time
> when it read "Inciting a revolt cost 1000000 gold.  Treasury contains 528
> gold.
> Darn."

This means that that city is the other player's capital,
which effectively can't be incited to revolt.  A clearer message
to that effect would be nice of course...

> My other question is about the tile sets.  I've checked them out of CVS
> (in the data/default directory).  I'm assuming I'm running with those since
> I'm not giving any -tile switch when starting the client.
>
> However, the roads are real regular and not twisty like David's checkin
> mentioned.

This is probably a data directory problem.  If you use "make install"
and then use the installed "civclient", it should look in the correct
compiled in data dir (probably /usr/local/share/freeciv?) and it
should install the new roads under that dir.

Alternatively if you don't use "make install", and use the "civ" script,
it will look either in the directory given by the FREECIV_DATADIR
environment variable), or in ./data if that isn't set.
(Er, at least this is how it works on Unixes... :-7

> Where are the rest of the tile sets?  Do I just copy them to to a new
> subdirectory in the freeciv share directory?

Yep, into whatever data directory you have the client using, according
to the above.

> One last thing.  I had mentioned that I was having problems building for
> cygwin from the latest CVS sources.
>
> I'm happy to report that after manually running an automake (don't know why
> it
> didn't rebuild automatically) the last of my problems are resolved (X lib
> order problems).  It all builds with no changes right out of the tree.  As
> long
> as you have the install shell script wrapper for cygwin you can even install
> without changing the binary name to civserver.exe and civclient.exe.

Good to hear!

-- David