Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Diplomats

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomats
From: "Todd Goodman" <tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:07:06 -0500

I'm running the latest CVS source (1/24) and haven't played in a while.

I know we're trying to make diplomats more equitable, but they seem pretty
much
useless in a single player game right now.

Everytime I try to incite a revolt or steal tech it fails and I lose the
diplomat.
Maybe it's a random number problem, or maybe it's supposed to be impossible?

Usually it shows a reasonable amount for inciting a revolt, but I had one
time
when it read "Inciting a revolt cost 1000000 gold.  Treasury contains 528
gold.
Darn."

I'm not a great player, but I usually do OK and I've never seen anywhere
near
a million gold pieces in my treasury at 1800BC (when I got this message).

I guess I'm just wondering if it's supposed to work like this now.

My other question is about the tile sets.  I've checked them out of CVS
(in the data/default directory).  I'm assuming I'm running with those since
I'm not giving any -tile switch when starting the client.

However, the roads are real regular and not twisty like David's checkin
mentioned.

Where are the rest of the tile sets?  Do I just copy them to to a new
subdirectory in the freeciv share directory?

One last thing.  I had mentioned that I was having problems building for
cygwin from the latest CVS sources.

I'm happy to report that after manually running an automake (don't know why
it
didn't rebuild automatically) the last of my problems are resolved (X lib
order problems).  It all builds with no changes right out of the tree.  As
long
as you have the install shell script wrapper for cygwin you can even install
without changing the binary name to civserver.exe and civclient.exe.

Thanks for all the great work!

Thanks,

Todd