Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] auto-attach and airplanes

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] auto-attach and airplanes
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 00:26:16 +1100

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Nicolas BRUNEL wrote:

> Example: put a mech inf on a mountain it is almost impossible to destroy
> it with one attach whatever the unit.
> Add a bomber so that no ground unit can attach your mech inf, now
> fighter has a good chance of destroying the two units.

(Oops, I should have made my previous reply to this post.)
I just tried something like this out, and in this situation
the Fighter attacks the Mech Inf (and likely loses).

> So my first question was :
> when an air units is destroyed are ground or naval units destroyed also
> in freeciv ?

Yes.  The rule that you lose a whole stack when a defender loses
is pretty iffy (but we're stuck with it), and I think this is just
an extreme case.

> Second question :
> Are some other peoples interested by allowing figthers to fly for 2
> turns in a row so that fighters can protect bombers.

With rulesets you could increase the fighters fuel so it
can stay aloft, but that won't help much because the fighter's
defense isn't great either, and as you note:

> In unit_type there is no field air_to_air_attach or air_to_air_defense !
> Do i have to understand that bombers almost always kill fighters
> when they attach first ?

Yes, civ-style combat rules are pretty simplistic in this respect.

-- David