Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] colours and palettes

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] colours and palettes
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:32:37 +1100

While trying to get a good palette for my new units, to fit in
well with the existing tiles etc,  I came across some strangeness
in the current palettes (despite the colour fix-up some time ago).
(Note: for colour, read color, if preferred :-)

While the units and tiles share the same palette, many of the
colours in the units and tiles are just slightly different from
the colours in small.xpm, and also some of the "standard" colours
hardwired in the code.

For reference, the first attachment shows all of the colours
currently used, along with where:
  TILES: tiles.xpm
  UNITS: units.xpm
  SMALL: small.xpm
  STD_*: (coded)
(The colour descriptions I just made up from what they look
like to me.)

Colours marked with '+' are very close to another colour,
and I think should be removed.  Colours '*' are less close,
and could possibly be used for shading etc, but I think can
probably also be removed safely.  Colours '**' are not that
close to other colours, but have only a few uses and can
readily be adjusted.  Once could be more ruthless to similar
colours, but I don't think that's necessary, and would
require more care.

So the second attachment is my proposed palette to use
for the current tiles (and a "base" palette for tilesets
build on them, such as my new units).  It suggests slightly
changing STD_RACE13, and I'd also consider changing
STD_YELLOW (due to the problem Kris brought up, possibly to
one of the other yellows here) but I haven't experimented
with anything yet.

New xpms with these colours are at
http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~dwp/freeciv/patches/recol_xpm.tar.gz

While I was changing the units, I decided to also put in
Frank Muzzulini's artillery icon.  (Which is no longer in
my new units, and fits the style of the current units,
and is a better artillery icon than the current one IMO.)

I've also revised my new units (those so far) to use this
palette, plus some additional colours:
 40 40 40       DWP Dark Grey
 190 100 50     DWP Light Brown
 132 23 156     DWP Purple
 153 89 128     DWP Pale Purple

Regards,
-- David
GIMP Palette
# dwp
0 0 0           STD_BLACK  Black
1 1 1           + SMALL  Black
2 2 4           + TILES UNITS  Black
115 115 123     SMALL  Grey
114 114 124     + TILES UNITS  Grey
158 158 166     TILES UNITS  Med Grey
192 192 192     * STD_RACE13  Light Grey
198 198 198     SMALL  Light Grey
198 198 196     + TILES UNITS  Light Grey
255 255 255     STD_WHITE SMALL  White
254 254 241     * TILES UNITS  Yellow White
255 128 128     STD_RACE8  Pink
247 148 115     SMALL  Flesh
248 145 102     * TILES UNITS  Flesh
255 132 66      ** SMALL  Flesh Orange
255 128 0       STD_RACE6  Orange
214 122 4       TILES UNITS  Orange Brown
140 74 33       SMALL  Brown
142 74 36       + TILES UNITS  Brown
99 33 0         SMALL  Dark Brown
98 34 4         + TILES UNITS  Dark Brown
41 24 8         ** SMALL  Very Dark Brown
132 132 66      SMALL  Yellow Grey
134 134 61      + TILES UNITS  Yellow Grey
198 198 20      TILES UNITS  Grey Yellow
246 222 36      TILES UNITS  Off Yellow
247 231 0       SMALL  Off Yellow
246 231 4       + TILES UNITS  Off Yellow
255 255 0       STD_YELLOW SMALL  Yellow
255 255 128     STD_RACE7  White Yellow
255 255 132     + SMALL  White Yellow
135 246 6       TILES  Yellow Green
0 255 0         STD_RACE10 SMALL  Green
2 254 4         + TILES UNITS  Off Green
0 200 0         STD_GROUND  Medium Green
2 134 4         * TILES UNITS  Dark Green
0 123 0         SMALL  Dark Green
2 122 4         + TILES UNITS  Dark Green
2 182 98        TILES UNITS  Dark Cyan Green
98 230 168      TILES UNITS  Pale Cyan Green
0 255 132       SMALL  Cyan Green
0 255 200       STD_CYAN  Green Cyan
41 66 57        SMALL  Dark Green Grey
0 82 66         SMALL  Grey Green
4 81 68         + TILES UNITS  Grey Green
0 64 64         STD_RACE12 Very Dark Cyan
0 128 128       STD_RACE11 Dark Cyan
2 134 143       * TILES UNITS  Dark Cyan
58 106 108      TILES  Grey Cyan
0 255 255       SMALL  Cyan
2 254 249       + TILES UNITS  Cyan
128 255 255     STD_RACE1  White Cyan
132 255 255     + SMALL  White Cyan
134 254 252     + TILES UNITS  White Cyan
92 95 142       TILES UNITS  Grey Blue
82 142 252      TILES UNITS  Pale Blue
0 115 239       SMALL  Sky Blue
2 114 236       + TILES UNITS  Sky Blue
0 0 128         STD_RACE4  Dark Blue
0 0 200         STD_OCEAN  Medium Blue
0 0 255         STD_RACE9 SMALL  Blue
2 2 252         + TILES UNITS  Blue
114 2 244       TILES UNITS  Purple
255 0 255       STD_RACE5  Magenta
255 0 128       STD_RACE3  Red Magenta
255 0 132       + SMALL  Red Magenta
255 0 41        SMALL  Off Red
254 2 56        * TILES UNITS  Off Red
255 0 0         STD_RED STD_RACE2 SMALL  Red
128 0 0         STD_RACE0  Dark Red
130 2 4         + TILES UNITS  Dark Red
GIMP Palette
# dwp
0 0 0           STD_BLACK SMALL TILES UNITS  Black
115 115 123     SMALL TILES UNITS  Grey
158 158 166     TILES UNITS  Med Grey
198 198 198     SMALL TILES UNITS NEW_STD_RACE13  Light Grey
255 255 255     STD_WHITE SMALL TILES UNITS  White
255 128 128     STD_RACE8  Pink
247 148 115     SMALL TILES UNITS  Flesh
255 128 0       STD_RACE6  Orange
214 122 4       TILES UNITS  Orange Brown
140 74 33       SMALL TILES UNITS  Brown
99 33 0         SMALL TILES UNITS  Dark Brown
132 132 66      SMALL TILES UNITS  Yellow Grey
198 198 20      TILES UNITS  Grey Yellow
246 222 36      TILES UNITS  Off Yellow
247 231 0       SMALL TILES UNITS  Off Yellow
255 255 0       STD_YELLOW SMALL  Yellow
255 255 128     SMALL STD_RACE7  White Yellow
135 246 6       TILES  Yellow Green
0 255 0         TILES UNITS STD_RACE10 SMALL  Green
0 200 0         STD_GROUND  Medium Green
0 123 0         SMALL TILES UNITS  Dark Green
2 182 98        TILES UNITS  Dark Cyan Green
98 230 168      TILES UNITS  Pale Cyan Green
0 255 132       *SMALL  Cyan Green
0 255 200       STD_CYAN  Green Cyan
41 66 57        *SMALL  Dark Green Grey
0 82 66         SMALL TILES UNITS  Grey Green
0 64 64         STD_RACE12 Very Dark Cyan
0 128 128       TILES UNITS STD_RACE11 Dark Cyan
58 106 108      TILES  Grey Cyan
0 255 255       SMALL TILES UNITS  Cyan
128 255 255     SMALL TILES UNITS STD_RACE1  White Cyan
92 95 142       TILES UNITS  Grey Blue
82 142 252      TILES UNITS  Pale Blue
0 115 239       SMALL TILES UNITS  Sky Blue
0 0 128         STD_RACE4  Dark Blue
0 0 200         STD_OCEAN  Medium Blue
0 0 255         SMALL TILES UNITS STD_RACE9  Blue
114 2 244       TILES UNITS  Blue Purple
255 0 255       STD_RACE5  Magenta
255 0 128       SMALL STD_RACE3  Red Magenta
255 0 41        SMALL TILES UNITS  Off Red
255 0 0         STD_RED STD_RACE2 SMALL  Red
128 0 0         TILES UNITS STD_RACE0  Dark Red