Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] updated spacerace patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] updated spacerace patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:26:55 +1100

At http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~dwp/freeciv/patches/spacer_i6.diff.gz
is Falk Hueffner's spacerace patch, with some fixes by me,
and updated to current CVS.

It uses non-mandatory capabilities for backwards compatability,
though there could still be some strangeness, eg if you connect
with a spacerace client, start a spaceship, and then disconnect
and reconnect with a non-spacerace client.

To activate the spacerace, set the server option "spacerace"
to 1 (you can do this during an existing game).

I also adjusted the colours in space.xpm, to use drastically
fewer colors (was 37, now 7, IIRC).

It basically works, but there is more work to do.  Eg, travel
time, success rate etc are not implemented.  I once posted
some formulae reverse engineered from Civ1; see
http://www.complete.org/mailinglists/archives/freeciv-dev-9811/msg00098.html

Also, the AI is completely ignorant about spaceships.

Since the spacerace is off by default, and the option to turn
it on is marked "experimental" and "still being developed",
I think it should be ok for this to go into cvs.

Regards,
-- David