Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Xaw3d client (and an user suggested a nextaw one...)

To: FreeCiv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Xaw3d client (and an user suggested a nextaw one...)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 23:49:47 -0200

On Jan 01, Trent Piepho decided to present us with:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Lalo Martins wrote:
> > I'm not being able to compile (and package) the Xaw3d client,
> > anyone that had success can lend a hand?
> >
> > My system (or any other debian system I checked) doesn't have
> > /usr/include/X11/Xaw3d. So it dies up like
>
> My slackware installation does, and so does redhat.  For redhat it's part of
> the Xaw3d-devel package.

Yes, I just found out that the xaw3d maintainer (who happens to
be the same person as the nextaw and xaw95 maintainer) just
chose not to make -dev packages :-\ I bugged both. But this
means that there won't be a freeciv-xaw3d.deb as soon as I hoped.

> > BTW the guy that kindly offered me an account on his machine to
> > do the job asked if a nextaw version wouldn't be easy to add now
> > that we know how. I didn't take it very seriously at first, and
> > even pointed him to the gtk client in development.
>
> I was told that my changes to the client to make it xaw3d compatable also
> worked for xaw95 and nextaw, but I don't use those libraries myself.

Could anyone _please_ test? As we don't have xaw3d-dev,
nextaw-dev and xaw95-dev packages there isn't much I can do even
to test.

Otherwise, someone could just tar up the headers for xaw3d and
nextaw and put them somewhere for download? [I assume nobody
would want freeciv on xaw95 ;-) ]

Finally, as a sidenote, if it turns out the patch works with
nextaw shouldn't configure.in be changed?

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls