Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch for split unit bitmaps (exploded tilesets)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch for split unit bitmaps (exploded tilesets)
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 13:37:44 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Do people generally think its a good idea to have the bitmaps
> split up like this?  I can see some cases where it would be
> useful, but also others cases where having a single units.xpm
> would be more convenient.

[ I am finally doing my mail backlog. Beware. ]

Today each tile has its own small part of the big bitmap, but the size of
each part varies. Maybe it would be easier to make a simple icon editor or
create new bitmaps if each picture had a fixed size part of the big
bitmap?

Uhm, that may not have been easy to understand. Let me illustrate. Say we
have this file "unix.xpm" with four images, one 40x40, one 80x80 and two
50x50. What I propose is to give all of them a 80x80 space, even though
they only will use a small fraction of it. This way an icon editor etc
will not need to know the "format" of the big bitmap in order to
manipulate it.

Would this be useful?

Yours,
Per